PRESCRIPTION PETS THERAPY DOGS UPDATE
August 28, 2021
Dear Prescription Pets Therapy Dogs Teams,
Your Board of Directors had their monthly meeting last week. Here are the highlights
1. Dan Perrine was elected to the Board of Directors. He is a great addition. Dan brings administrative, educational and nonprofit board experiences to our Board.
2. Lee Padden has earned her Tester/Observer designation with Alliance of Therapy Dogs. Congrats to Lee!
3. Please welcome Jana Hamblin and Gus to our group! She has had many years of dog handling, visiting and reading with the dogs at our Library.
4. Status of the Shasta County Public Health staff visits: Looks like we will start off small. The coordinator wants to make it a pilot visit with one team. Marilyn Graham and Charlie have agreed to be in the pilot visit at the end of the month. If the pilot goes well, we’ll look at more visits.
5. The 12-visit Program is still active. We will be combining your 2020 and 2021 visits in the tally for the minimum of 12 visits in 2021. In the 12-visit Program each visit and sponsored event earns a point contributing to 12 visits in a year. The 12 points earns a year rocker arm for the Prescription Pets pin. The pins and rockers are distributed at the annual Volunteer Appreciation Event.
5. Tentatively, the Board is looking at hosting a Volunteer Appreciation Event in March of 2022. If you have any ideas for how to make this a special and fun event, let me know.
6. The next “How to Become a Therapy Dog Team” workshop is scheduled for September 17, 2021. Check the prescriptionpets.org website under Workshops for details. If you know of any interested people, let me know.
7. This is a heads up that our group is participating in the Giving Tuesday fundraiser in November. This is a major fundraiser for us. More details will follow.
8. Facility updates
- Fairchild Medical Center (Yreka) and Mercy Mt.Shasta - Debbie Laxague and Moon are on a substitute list to staff the front desks. Both facilities are small so it isn’t unusual to visit only 1 to 2 patients.
- LeBrun Adult Residential Care Facility - Janice Galloway reported that Le Brun currently is not open for visitors.
- Mercy Medical Center - Pam Ward reported that dog teams are visiting staff and patients.
- Oakmont of Redding - Diana Stockwell reported that there have been group visits for the last 2 months.
- Quartz Hill Post Acute Care - Diana said that there have been 2 group visits.
- R.E.A.D. Program - The READ program has been going very well. The dog/cat cutouts have been a big hit with the kids. The children are starting to ask for the animals by name. If interested, contact Pam.
- The Vistas - is still closed for visitors.
- Veterans Home - Lee Padden reported that the facility was open with provisions but is now closed again due to COVID precautions.
Thank you for all that you do for our communities! Be safe out there!
Diana Stockwell, President
Prescription Pets Therapy Dogs